Saturday, January 7, 2012

Sick, Camp

The frigid temperatures and polluted air of the Kathmandu valley have finally beaten my immune system into submission as I have been battling a wicked combination of high fever/bad cold for the past few days. The aspirin available at the pharmacies (paracetamol) only seems to work for a couple of hours before fading away. I spent the majority of yesterday wrapped in every blanket I could find with a hot water bag strapped to my chest and was still shivering with chills for hours with a fever in the high 102's. I have been on a regimen of homeopathic medicine since yesterday and have shown marginal signs of improvement. Shehrish's grandfather recommended a drink made from 'neem' leaves, easily the most bitter thing I have ever tasted in my life. I would pay $100 USD right now for a box of Theraflu and some orange Gatorade.

The first week of winter camp concluded yesterday and has been as fun for me as it has been for the children. I went on my first horse ride and the kids badgered the trainer to take me around at a much faster pace than the normal horse trot. It was terrifying and I don't plan on riding one ever again. I taught the kids some basic yoga on the second day of camp which may have been too intense as one camper was absent the next day due to sore legs. Making s'mores had been included in the curriculum, which would have been great if one could buy Hershey's chocolate, graham crackers or proper marshmallows in Nepal. We settled on sugar crackers (stiff, sweet biscuits), DairyMilk chocolate (too thick) and Thai marshmallows (small, pink in the middle and disgusting). Despite my opinion, the kids loved them and were lined up for seconds. One more week of camp and then Shehrish and I are off to Delhi for three weeks. Hope all is well with everybody, take your vitamins.

No comments:

Post a Comment