Sunday, December 4, 2011

Small World

I now have a better 'small world' encounter than you do, guaranteed.

I went out last night to Lazimpat to watch the Chelsea match and to later meet up with people in Thamel. A cab with passengers pulled up and the driver told me to get in. I have never 'shared' a cab before, but it was cold out and I had been waiting for some time already. While negotiating price, the couple in back (Americans) started asking me the routine questions until we got to where I am from. I'm not sure how to feel about the following exchange (which I swear on my dog's life happened verbatim):

Husband Guy: Where are you from?
Me: NC
HG: We used to live in Winston-Salem, but all of our family is in VA.

We then talk about Winston-Salem things for the next 5 minutes. I learn that they used to have a lake house near Roanoke.

Me: How strange, my family has a lake house near Roanoke.
HG: Smith Mountain Lake?
Me: ...yes, in Union Hall.
HG: What a small world! We vacationed there this summer! Have you eaten at Mexico Viejo (completely generic Mexican)?
Me: Yes, many times.

I ran into two Americans who used to live in Winston-Salem AND had a house on Smith Mountain Lake while in a cab in Kathmandu. I'm sure I came off weird to them because I was genuinely weirded out. While discussing Mexico Viejo, a small part of me thought I was going to be kidnapped or worse because seriously, what are odds of this scenario ever happening? I lied about living in Baluwatar, saying that I was only visiting a friend because I had no idea what was going on. They had only been in Nepal for a month but both spoke Nepali fluently. Both said they got language training before moving to Nepal for the guy's job. I joked about how utterly bizarre it was to run into them but they didn't seem at all rattled. If I go missing within the next few days, contact authorities and tell them that two white people have me, because this is either one of those bizarro 'small world' encounters or some calculated attempt to...abduct me or something? Given that I remain free, I assume that they are who they say they are, but I have been completely aware of my surroundings ever since. If they are out to get me, I'm sure they have access to my blog, so know that I'm on to your scheme!*

*The sheer impossibility of this encounter leaves me puzzled and creeped out; I'm partially writing this to protect myself, as I can't wrap my head around the strangeness of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment