Sunday, July 10, 2011

Chester's demise, raging flames, parties and traveling

In a tragic turn of events, my favorite pigeon, Chester, was found deceased with two crows battling over his corpse. When we came up to the terrace, the crows flew away and we identified Chester through a marking on his stomach. Chester was always around for the first month or so of my visit, as he was nursing a broken leg and would always sit in the same spot. The cause of death was hard to determine, as we found the crows pulling out his intestines as if they were spaghetti noodles. Rest in peace, Chester.

There was a huge fire in Thamel last night that quickly went from contained to out of control. We were waiting in line to get falafel wraps and noticed a small fire in the corner of the street. People were frantically trying to put it out by pouring massive amounts of water on the flames, but nothing worked. I wanted to get far away, but Shehrish was intrigued and wanted to watch. The fire kept growing, and a large crowd had gathered. All of a sudden, the fire got massive and the whole street was engulfed in flames. The hair on my left arm was partially singed off. There was gasoline all over the road as well. The crowd started running at me and away from the fire, and I felt like I would be trampled. Fortunately, no one was hurt, and we took a roundabout way to get out of Thamel and avoid incineration.

How is it that a third installment of Transformers was deemed necessary? We went to the movies this week to see it, and it went on about two hours too long. I have only walked out of one movie in my entire life (the abysmal Alexander with Colin Farrell), and would have made it two had Shehrish’s family not been present. The final battle scene lasted over an hour with the robots battling throughout Chicago, and it put me to sleep. Shia LeBeouf is just terrible, and his new love interest couldn’t have been more vapid. Save your money.

Friday was Sherry’s dads birthday, and about twenty people came over to celebrate. There was a smorgasbord of Indian/Nepali food, and I found a new great food, ‘dhaibada’, essentially lentil balls in a yogurt sauce. A lot of Indian food has yogurt used in different ways, and I have liked all of it. The celebration was rambunctious and lasted until two in the morning. Happy birthday Rabi!

My parents come on Thursday to visit and I look forward to their arrival. It will be fun to see what shocks and startles them, as I feel completely adjusted to my surroundings and haven’t been rattled by anything for a while, except for the raging fire described above. We are traveling all over Nepal, and I am going to do the second biggest bungee jump in the world. Safe travels!

No comments:

Post a Comment